Wednesday 9 July 2014

How to Train Your Dragon: Toothless Can Show You the World

by Daniela

Studio: DreamWorks Animation
Year: 2010

DreamWorks Animation has been breathing down the necks of Disney with their animated features but some of them can just miss the mark. In case you aren’t too familiar with DreamWorks films, this is the studio behind Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and of course,  How to Train Your Dragon. It’s no wonder they’ve expanded the franchise with a television series, a stage show and more sequels to come because well… it’s that good!

The plot is unlike anything audiences have seen and it has continuously been praised for its originality and I have to agree.  How to Train Your Dragon is based off the book series by Cressida Cowell. It follows the story of Hiccup (Jay Baruchel), a young Viking who is the son of the chief, Stoick the Vast (Gerard Butler), of their Viking village. Hiccup has always wanted to make his father proud by killing a dragon but in reality his attempts usually end in disaster. He encounters an injured Toothless, a Nightfury dragon, and quickly realises that he doesn’t have the heart to kill him. Instead he studies him and using his own inventions gets Hiccup to fly again. Using his new knowledge of dragons he hopes to teach his father and the rest of the Vikings that they can co-exist with dragon-kind but not everyone is eager to accept that these creatures are innocent.

Hiccup doesn't need a magic carpet.

As far as Vikings go, Hiccup is far from your stereotypical menacing Viking. He’s scrawny, intelligent yet incredibly awkward and also pulls off sarcasm really well. Let me take a moment to say, wow did puberty treat him well… (the teaser for the sequel, am I right?). Then you have Toothless, his right-hand… dragon. I fell in love with Toothless when Hiccup begins training him. There’s something about giving other animals/creatures dog-like characteristics that animated films are really pulling off. Toothless is adorable to say the least and an incredibly loyal friend to Hiccup thus making them the perfect pair. The iconic moment where Toothless allows Hiccup to touch him starts off an amazing sequence where you begin to see the relationship between the two develop. From the moment they begin to make a connection to their first flight, the audience is completely on their side. Also, please tell me I wasn’t the only one singing A Whole New World in my head when Hiccup takes Astrid (America Ferrera) on a flight on Toothless?

The animation in this movie is outstanding. One look at how all the facial hair in this film moves and you will be as convinced as I am. Yes, I’m talking about those majestically moving beards. It doesn’t stop at the mesmerising facial hair, the attention to detail is on point. The different textures on the Viking outfits are good examples here with the fur and the leather looking and moving so realistically. One thing that I thought was amazing was the attention to detail on the dragons. The scales on Toothless are so beautifully done that you’ll want to reach out and feel for yourself.  From the clips of the sequel that I have seen, DreamWorks has gone onwards and upwards with their details and it pays off. Yes, I may have possibly noticed that little bit of stubble on Hiccup’s chin.

To top it all off the score is pretty much perfect. It’s emotive, suspenseful and complements the scenes brilliantly. I often use Pandora and let me tell you, I never skip any parts of the How to Train Your Dragon score when it plays on my radio stations. Forbidden Friendship and Test Drive are my personal favourites and are probably my favourite scenes in the movie. Test Drive shows the result of the friendship the two have developed through their first flight together and is uplifting in probably one of the early turning points in the film. It’s energetic and builds up to the amazing moment where Hiccup and Toothless soar through the clouds and over the island of Berk. Battling the Green Death is heavy and intense as the song title suggests. It’s suspenseful and heavily charged and gives off a video-game boss battle kind of vibe. John Powell, I salute you! It completely deserved the Academy Award nomination.


Overall, it’s an amazing movie that should have other animation studios shaking in their boots. But truthfully, I have been struggling with rating it. Although I rave about it, it’s not a movie that I reach for often. In saying that, everytime I do watch it I absolutely love it! Yet, I’m just not compelled to watch it as much as other movies. With that being said, I’m looking forward to seeing what DreamWorks has in store for its latest big franchise. I’ve still yet to see the sequel but rest assured I WILL SEE IT. And let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want a Toothless of their own? 

KEEP

Rating: 8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...