Monday 13 October 2014

Justin Timberlake: Bringing Sexy Back is Definitely Not A Bad Thing

by Justine

Greetings dear readers, today you will be getting more bang for your buck! Last night I attended the concert of famous, suited-up legend, Justin Timberlake along with my friend Jai. He has asked (countlessly) to guest blog so today we're giving him the chance. The first part of this blog will be my review of the concert and the second part will be his.

Straight into it then?

It's been 7 years since JT last graced the stage at Vector Arena in Auckland, and there was 13 year old me, with my family, sitting for the first time in said arena and seeing my first concert in NZ. Now, at 20 years old (*shudder*) I found myself there again, this time clad in the overpriced JT shirt I'd purchased at that last concert and with significantly better seats. We were lower bowl this time, about three rows from the floor and stage left with a freaking incredible view.

The opening act was relatively dull. It was just a DJ with his set playing an array of music and hoping to get people jumping. It was forgettable most certainly. However, it didn't make that much of a difference really - who wants an opening act that outshines the headliner anyway? (I'm looking at you PussyCat Dolls...).

By quarter to nine the show really started. The set was excellent. There was just enough room on the stage for JT and his crew to show off their superb dance moves with the Tennessee Kids (his band) directly behind looking like they were having the time of their life. A flight of stairs rose behind the band from which JT emerged atop with the stage-length screen flickering to life behind him. The opening song was the first song on his most recent album, The 20/20 Experience, called Pusher Love Girl. Admittedly, I'd only heard the song for the first time directly before the concert in my mad rush to familiarise myself with at least SOME of the new songs.




Of course JT executed the show in true legend fashion; the lights, the dancing, the incredible band. His vocals were on point for someone who danced so much, I was pretty impressed. I was also genuinely taken aback by his immense humility. He constantly thanked the audience for their support and even bowed to us a couple times. A big seller for me was the fact that he really seemed to be enjoying himself on stage. After so many years in the industry, performing all over the world and being married to a gorgeous movie star, you'd think the excitement of the stage would have worn off by now. But no, JT took it all in with the thrill and joy of a virgin performer and that sort of emotion is really sensed by the audience.

Contrary to my expectation, JT did not shove his new album in our faces. He was probably aware that people still love to hear the old songs and he did not disappoint. He brought back classics like SeƱorita, Rock Your Body, Summer Love (which I remember hearing for the first time in concert 7 years ago!), What Goes AroundCry Me A River and of course, SexyBack. The concert was more a tour of his greatest hits than an advertisement for the new album which I thought was a nice touch.



Much to my delight, he also did a little taster of Holy Grail before transitioning seamlessly into the it's-not-about-Britney-but-it's-about-Britney classic Cry Me A River. I have to give credit to the band here. As a...partial...musician myself (I don't know if musician is the right term here, I just play an instrument), I understand how difficult it is to change from beat to beat, melody to melody and all while looking like it all just comes naturally. The Tennessee Kids did a great job. They fed off the energy from the crowd and produced a spectacular show.


Another hearty dose of credit should go to JT's dancers. JT has always been a showman, taking clear inspiration from his idol, Michael Jackson. His vocals did not suffer as a result of the dancing which was an added bonus. He and his dancers worked more as a team than a "star + backup dancers" type thing. The moves were simple but precise and contributed to a stellar show overall.

The arena pretty much erupted once the signature guitar intro from Not A Bad Thing began. JT graced the stage armed with an acoustic guitar and a grin and began to sing the song I'd been waiting all night to hear. He did not disappoint!



Finally, he ended the night with Mirrors. I'm pretty sure that everyone knew this would be the ending track as they were all probably eagerly awaiting it as I was. It was nothing short of epic. Unfortunately I was only able to capture half of the song (because my phone ran out of memory space :( ). Sorry!


One of the most memorable moments from the concert was definitely his performance of Until the End of Time during which, in a modern twist, he got everyone to turn the flashlights on on their phones and hold them up like lighters. What an effect! The entire arena was lit with tiny white lights like fireflies. It was quite simply beautiful. Couple that with a suave JT tinkling away on the piano all dressed up in his white shirt and signature hat and you've got quite a heart-melting moment. As if the song wasn't enough on it's own! His stripped back performance of What Goes Around was another unmissable moment. I liked that the songs in general were not just ripped straight from the album and chucked onto the stage. They had their own little, unique, stage elements that made the concert an experience, not just a showcase.

All in all, this concert was definitely not one to miss! JT has truly broken the mould and showed that even boy band boys can revolutionise music. The whole thing was very interactive and connected and all up a fantastic experience. So, for all you other Kiwis out there debating as whether or not buy tickets for the Wednesday show JUST DO IT! I promise you won't regret it!

KEEP

9.5/10

Jai's Review


Hi. My name is Jai. I am a good friend of Justine and Daniela and an avid Jumpcut reader. I also consider myself a massive Justin Timberlake fan so I’ve been looking forward to writing this guest spot for a long, long time. My first blog for my first concert. Thanks Daniela and Justine!

So first of all, buying tickets for this show was a mission. The first show sold out in literally 5 minutes and despite getting in on the ticket website well before the release time, I was unable to get anything. Oh the absolute sadness! Luckily, I was then able to (barely) buy tickets for the second show. Oh the joy and excitement!!

So 6 months of waiting and waiting and October 13 finally came! I’ve never been to a concert before so I didn’t really know what I’d be in for but I had plenty of expectations for this show. It is JT after all. I must say that each and every one of my expectations has not only been met but also exceeded.  A perfect mix of amazing music and dancing and full on entertainment. It really was a spectacle to behold. Also, good seats.

JT started the night with Pusher Love Girl and ended with Mirrors and every song was brilliantly performed. There was a seamless transition from one song to the other. It felt like one massive party. I paid for seats but I barely used it. Everybody was on their feet and I might have even caught Jumpcut’s Justine (sort of) dancing and singing along to some of the songs. That’s a rare sight to see.

The Tennessee Kids were nothing short of amazing. The band members themselves, from the musicians to the backup vocalist were not only playing the music but also had some fine dance moves. They were brilliant and talented and gave the songs an amazing energy that you just don’t get from your regular playlist. However, the guitar started to go out of tune by the last song (Mirrors). It annoyed me a bit as Mirrors happened to be my favourite song. Oh well. Tis but a technical issue and it didn’t really affect the song or the show, so much.



Also, they had TWO, let me say that again… TWO! drummers, who were just amazing. I guess a show as energetic as that one needed two drummers to keep the energy as high as it was.

The screen graphics were also very good. They were a very artistic accompaniment to the songs. It didn’t take away from the music or JT himself.

Bias and fanboy-ness aside, I have to give props to man himself. It was easy to see why many consider him the best entertainer of this generation. The man knows how to put on a damn good show. He was able to keep the crowd entertained all night with his dance moves, brilliant voice and overall stage presence. I felt like I wanted to jump onto the stage and dance/sing along with him. I still think he should’ve asked me to rap Holy Grail for him (My friends don’t call me Jai-Z for nothing).

I am still in awe with the fact that he can still sing in tune despite dancing around the stage for 2 hours (I struggle to speak clearly after walking up a small hill). He did his 116th show like it was first. He’s got energy and he knows how to use it.

I’m going to conclude my part of this blog post by saying that the night was close to perfect and as far as concerts go, it was a complete experience. The concert was a blast and I hope it would’ve gone on for longer.
I hope he comes again soon (He promised it won’t take 7 years like last time).

KEEP 

I give it a 20/20

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, wanted some of the newer songs. The Auckland show was a shortened version of his longer setlist which spanned about 30 songs, which he plays in some of his tour venues. All good though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...